Wednesday 10 June 2015

Bak Chang (Kiam Chang)

I find it such a blessing that I am able to look back on my young days at memories of my late mother cooking together with my late grandmother, preparing meals for the family. Oh, the heavenly smell of food from the kitchen makes us children impatient for the meal to begin!

Unfortunately, when my mother passed away, I was at that age when cooking wasn't a priority and so I never got to learn from her.  But the memories of the food remained and throughout my adult life, I searched to learn and cook foods that were so very much a part of my growing up years.

Learning how to wrap a dumpling (chang) was on my list and (thankfully) a paternal aunt of mine who is also a great cook herself taught me how to do it years ago. Still, I have yet to master the art of wrapping the Chang all the same size!



I have tried a few recipes to get it to the way I remembered how it tasted like when my mother made them and at last, I got it!

According to one of my sons, "Mum, your Chang is AWESOME! Make sure you remember how to do it the same the next round!"  Haha... I hope so too!

You have to make time for making Chang.  The glutinous rice has to be soaked overnight and the bamboo leaves (with hot water) too.



The leaves will soften to make it easier to be handled!

Ingredients include dried chestnuts (soaked for some time to remove the grit on it), dried shrimps (habee) - use hot water to soak it for a while and keep the water (for use later).




Dried mushrooms (remove stalk, soak in hot water - keep water for later use)



Shallots and garlic - some pounded together (to be fried with the pork)



Shallots - sliced finely and fried crispy. Keep oil for use to fry the glutinous rice.

If you like, you can add in a whole salted egg yolk into each Chang.  Some would half it; it is optional.


Now, to prepare the glutinous rice (I used 2 kgs this time) - drain away the water.  With the leftover oil from frying the shallots, add in some minced garlic and fry till fragrant. Then add in the rice, some salt, white pepper powder (I used lots of this!) and dark soya sauce.  Mix well.  Finally, add in the fried crispy shallots and it is ready for wrapping to begin.


Wait a minute! What about the pork filling?

I used streaky pork (personally, I prefer the meat to have more fat) cut into bite sizes (2 pieces per Chang, it is up to you and your skill in wrapping!).

Fry the pounded shallots/garlic mix until fragrant in some oil.

Add in the pork and stir fry.  Then add in 1 tsp of Five Spice Powder, salt, dark soya sauce, the water from the soaking of the Dried Shrimps and Mushroom. Add in the prepared Mushrooms.

When the liquid has reduced (taste the mixture to check if salty enough), add in the clean chestnuts and stir well.


Now we are ready to do the wrapping....


Unfortunately I don't know how to explain the wrapping part ... that you would have to look for How to wrap Chang DIY in Youtube!

Depending on the size of the bamboo leaves, I used 2 or 3 at a time to wrap.


Usually it takes about 3 to 4 hours in the boiling pot of water for the dumplings to be ready.  This is the conventional method.

Now I have discovered a faster way to boil it! I use the Philips Pressure Cooker.... Only 40 - 45 minutes and they are ready! Fantastic!



No worries! If you don't have this kitchen appliance... just use the stove, but be sure to watch it (enough water for 3 - 4 hours)!  There was once I boiled it over the gas stove for 2 hours (lazy me!) and the Chang was not nice and soft inside.


 Once ready, remove from water and hang to drip dry!

Now, to try one....


Happy 5th day of the 5th Moon! Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment