Friday 12 October 2012

Petai (Parkia Speciosa)

Petai!

I just love petai, call it stink bean or whatever else, when I bite into it raw (freshly peeled from the pod)... oooooh... the taste is really, really out of this world.

The bunches of petai in the photo above was bought off an Orang Asli man who was displaying it along the Karak Highway.  I was driving and saw him from afar, the bunches of petai hanging at the end of a stick. Parked the car by the road shoulder, negotiated with him and happily drove off with it.

You can't get it any fresher, just plucked from the trees in the surrounding jungles off that highway.


I was fortunate that this time around, the beans were of a good size.  Look at the peeled ones. Of course, while peeling, I popped some into my mouth and was having a great time savouring the taste.

Luckily, I was alone or else, my breath could have caused some distress to whoever was around! They don't call it stink beans for nothing!




I usually cook a Sambal Udang Petai dish out of it. But on this day, I had only sotong (squids) available and so I made a Sambal Sotong Petai dish instead.

When the petai is fresh, I also have it with some freshly made Sambal Belachan. 

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment